Friday, August 8, 2014

Living Room

When we built our house in 2012 we thought we would be able to do and buy everything we wanted for our house within the first year (I'll be generous, we actually thought the first few months).  Finish the backyard, put in new flooring, garage door opener (who builds a house without one of those? we do apparently), living room furniture, master bedroom furniture...and the list goes on.  It's been a little over two years and we have put in a garage door opener and have completed half of the backyard.  Did I mention in those two years we also had two very beautiful little boys?  Our hearts, minds, and wallets have been occupied, to say the least.  We are finally starting to move forward with a few projects which is why we started this blog.  We want to share our experiences with you and hopefully give you some inspiration along the way.

Let's start with the living room.  While I would LOVE to buy brand new furniture, we are going to use what we have.  When we got married, my in-laws gave us their 1996 blue La-Z-Boy furniture.  A couch, love seat (WITH console in the middle) and TWO recliners.  I know what you're thinking, "that's a lot of blue furniture!"  Yes, yes it is.  It's a little bit of a challenge to soften them, but a challenge we have accepted.  Here are a few before shots of our living room.
  See, I told you it was blue.
 I just can't part with the red chair.  We've used the chair for engagement, wedding and maternity photos.  I'm too sentimental.  But for the this project, I'll have to suck it up and just get rid of it. 
We are currently using one of the recliners in our family room.  My father-in-law will tell you how much he loves La-Z-Boy, and how much he still loves the furniture set.  My mother-in-law will tell you a different story.

Here is what we want to do:
  1. Paint the walls
  2. Make new pillow cases
  3. Hang curtains
  4. Paint the clock
  5. Make new sconces
  6. Make "new" pallet wall decor
  7. Build end pieces
I've already bought the fabric for our pillows and the curtains are hemmed and ironed and just need to be hung.  Our project is underway!  Can't wait to share it all with you!